Corrupted CTL file?

rbhollabaugh

I'm using DAQFactory Express with LabJack U3 on IBM laptop running Win2k. Latest service pack.

Reading 5 A2D temp inputs and using 6 Digital outputs. Logging data to a flat file. The "program" is about 15 lines in one of the A2D temp channel events.

When I add comments to any of the channels, the data from the A2D channels seems to get corrupted. Totally wrong numbers - negative numbers, etc.

Removing the comment without saving to the CTL file fixes the problem. But once I save to the CTL file then recovery is not possible and I need to bring in a backup of the CTL file.

DAQFactory is started in the morning and stopped in the evening using Windows scheduler.

Otherwise, rock solid.

Any ideas?

Need any more info?

Thanks,

Rich

The comments (as I called them incorrectly - they are called notes) are in the Channel Table View -> Quick Note Field for each channel.

Attached are two CTL files. TempGood.ctl is good. TempBad.ctl is the same as TempGood.ctl except I entered notes for two channels which then caused the A2D data in the watch window to show incorrect values.

Thanks,

Rich

TempBad.ctl

TempGood.ctl

As an update to my last post....

Last night I installed the latest version of DAQFactory Express from the daqexpress website. I also put channel init routine in a sequence so all data input and output channels are initialized on the U3.

I was hoping these changes would solve the problem but it's still there.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any update on this?

Or pick from the following:

a. This guy is nuts. Doesn't he know he's not supposed to put plain text in that field?

b. OOPS. We goofed. Who forgot to allocate space for that string?

c. We don't have time for this silliness. The product is free. You get what you pay for.

d. What problem? Looks fine to us.

Rich

Oops, sorry for the delay. The holidays got us a bit distracted. Thanks for posting again.

a. This guy is nuts. Doesn't he know he's not supposed to put plain text in that field?

No, its designed for plain text...

b. OOPS. We goofed. Who forgot to allocate space for that string?

Nah, we wouldn't be in business this long if we made such fundemental mistakes as that...

c. We don't have time for this silliness. The product is free. You get what you pay for.

Nope, actually express is built off the same code as the non-free versions, which is why you can easily upgrade. ..

d. What problem? Looks fine to us.

Actually, this one is true. I haven't been able to reproduce. Do you have your system on a computer connected to the internet? If so, then I'd like to briefly connect in and see the problem first hand. I recommend at this point you go to www.azeotech.com, click on the Contact Us link and email us your direct contact info so we can arrange a remoting session. Since there are a lot of email farming programs out there, I do not recommend posting your email on the forum.

Of course there is also response e), the doctor response:

"Doc, my arm hurts when I do this..."

"Well, don't do that!"

But I'd rather just determine what is happening.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, figured it out. I'm not sure why I didn't think of it previously! On the U3, the Quick Note/Special/OPC column of the channel is used to specify the negative channel for a differential measurement. When you put text in there, the text gets evaluated to 0, and DAQFactory does a differential instead of a single ended read with the negative channel being input 0. When DF first started, this column was not really used for this sort of thing, thus the name "Quick Note". At this point, many drivers use this column and we probably should drop the name "Quick Note" and just call it "Special / OPC"

Archived