Connecting to a remote copy of DAQFactory

I'm testing this resource on my local machine, and while it worked fine with a instance of my server application in acquire mode and another instance of the same server application with broadcast disabled, somehow I cant make it work with a new, blank project. Besides having broadcast disabled and a new connection configured is there anything else I should do to connect to a remote DAQ?

I'm confused what changed. Do you have an instance of DAQFactory running with broadcasting enabled on a remote computer and now you can't connect to it from a blank document? Make sure you specify the address of the remote computer using the IP address. Also, if there is any sort of firewall / router in between the two systems you'll have to make sure ports 2345-2348 are open.

Otherwise, please provide more detail on what it is doing (or not doing).

I'm running both the acquire mode and the "reader" from my local machine.

I run my application and set it to acquire mode.

Then I run another instance of the same application, disable broadcast and add a new connection, then I can see all the channels and sequences from the connection.

If I start a blank document and add a new connection, the channel table appears as if there are items (their names appear in the tree list on the workspace) but they have no data (no name, nothing), I will post a screenshot if necessary.

Maybe I'm missing something on configuring it.

It shouldn't take anything. To quickly see DAQFactory connections, just create a remote connection that connects right back to the same document. You'll see a duplicate channel list.

If you are running two copies of DF on the same machine, one in acquire and one in full mode, then you might have some port interference. If you start the full mode version before the acquire mode, it will lock up the ports as a server and the acquire mode won't be able to start its server. This happens when you start DAQFactory to a blank document too, so you have to start the full version using a shortcut that loads the document on startup. I'd also start it after the acquire mode version.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have a similar problem..

I'm trying to connect two instances of DF on my local network.

One instance is using only the local connection and broadcast is enabled on all channels (even though I have enabled full stream) - so it's running locally! The other instance of DF is made from the original file (from the first instance) but I have added a new connection (computer IP, full stream, default connection)! I have also tried making the second file from scratch - I just added a new connection.. It didn't seem to work, I always seem to get the crossed icon and NOT Connected..

Next I tried disabling both firewalls on the PCs, but still no effect. Both computers can see each other (ping works on both sides)!

I've also tried making a private network connection between my computer and one of my virtual machines (usinh VMwAre). Same thing, firewall disabled, ping works, machines see each other, but DF does not connect!

Please help!

Thank you

Usually this is because Windows firewall is blocking it. DF networking uses ports 2345 through 2348. Ping uses a different port, so isn't really an indication of access, though it at least tells you the destination is reachable. Try clicking on the connector and then clicking Reset Connection. Also try having the main computer connect to itself.

I tried clicking reset connection several times and it didn't work! I also tried connecting the main computer to itself and that seemed to work. Windows firewalls were disabled on both machines. What else could I try?

Not sure. It may be a windows security issue, though I'm not sure how. Your router also might not be passing traffic above port 1024. It is unfortunately hard to say and will likely require either a lot of tweaking, or contacting your local IT expert as it is related to how your network is setup.

• 9 months later...

Hi I too am having trouble in Aquire mode, i'm running a copy of daq in Aquire mode on a server and 3 copies on different computers in Runtime, everything runs fine when reading channels but i can't write values to outputs. When entering the channel name such as Aquire.time_1 in the remote copy the expression boxes remain pink, if i log on to the proffesional version and enter time_1 in say a variable value component i can write values to a channel with no problems, so why when i'm making up a page to display in runtime arn't the output channels recognised but the input channels are?? any help would be great.

First, I assume Aquire is the name of your connection on the remote computer?

Second, does time_1 have any values yet? Its going to appear in pink until you first set Time_1 to something. This is actually true locally as well. Try just ignoring the pink and setting the value.

Finally, you have to be connected full stream for outputs to work.

Archived