Determine Comm Capability

RJE

I am having great success using DAQFactory and have comm'd with a serial device that I have. I am able to poll it for data, parse the packet for specific data, perform math on the data, put it to channels and log/graph the data. Nice program.

Now for the real application for which DAQFactory was purchased, monitor electrical power use. After much research I have chosen to use the CPT-DIN 'advanced version' power transducer from Carlo Gavvazzi with a RS485 comm port.

I have the serial comm manual for the unit and before I shell out a "whack-o-cash" for the unit plus CT's could you look over the comm manual and give me a "yay or nay" for DAQFactory being able to pull data from it. Where or to whom would I send it?

If you think comm is possible with this unit then the rest is up to me.

Thanks

Randy

Never really had any doubt that DAQFactory couldn't talk to it. Since I'm new at using it, just thought a quick look from experienced users would point out any pitfalls to look out for as I develope the app.

I emailed it to you folks.

Thanks for the help.

No worries, and in this case, the device talks Modbus RTU so is real easy to communicate with. Just select the ModbusRTU protocol from the New Serial/Ethernet device wizard as described in the help, or just start with QuickMod Pro to prove it works. The addresses (tag #'s) are listed on page 11 of the manual you sent. Note that most of these are floating point values, but you might have to experiment to see if its reverse word float or just float. A few are U32. Use Read Holding, though Read Input will work too. As I said, it should be pretty straight forward, no protocol writing required for you. Please post if you have any questions while getting it setup.

That is good. When I saw Modbus in the manual I figured it would be fine.

Got some work ahead of me to install it and it comes with software to configure it and view its values. Once that is done then I start to configure DAQFactory to pull data out of it.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks

Archived