DAQ fails to open after system restart

waterplant_74426

Our DAQ has suddenly quit working. Actually it fails to open when you click on the shortcut. It appears that the program updated yesterday when the computer restarted and at least one file was modified, Runtime.Ctl, is it possible that this is the cause?

We have recently added a new antivirus program, ESET NOD32 Antivirus, if that makes any difference. It was installed 01/14/09 but this is the first time that the computer has restarted since that date.

Can't start the program at all. I accessed the program files and checked to see if anything had been modified and Runtime.ctl was the only thing that had been modified on the morning that it quit working.

No one working here today was here when the original program was installed so I was tapped to try and figure out why it suddenly quit working.

When you say "not working" what does it do? Does it display the splash and then quit? Is it still running in Task Manager (under processes: DAQFactory.exe)?

I'd still try a reinstall. Could be file corruption. If a reinstall doesn't work, try deleting the entire DAQFactory directory (except your .ctls) and reinstall.

It opens into the splash screen and stays there for approx. 5 seconds before an pop up appears saying "DAQFactory® has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." This pop up gives the option of reporting the problem to Microsoft. While the pop up is active DAQ appears in the task manager but if you click Send or Don't send then the program shuts down and it is no longer listed as a process.

OK, so the customer called us directly, but I thought I'd share the result. Turns out the power failure corrupted the .ctl document enough that DAQFactory would crash on loading it. They were running an older version of DAQFactory that couldn't handle the corruption as well as the newer releases. Two lessons here:

1) don't use the AutoPersist timer. This was a feature of older versions that is there for backward compatibility and is replaced by the Persist files of channels. The problem with it is that power failure while the file is persisting can cause the entire .ctl doc to become corrupted.

2) MOST IMPORTANTLY: Backup your .ctl files! Copy them offsite too. I also recommend keeping a backup of the DAQFactory installer you use so that you can install the exact same version you tested your application with. We keep old installs for most releases, but you'd have to contact us to get them and not all are available.

Archived