Any prep for W7?

RJE

Hello

Have you folks done any work using DF on the RC release of Microsoft's W7?

On my new build using Vista x64 DF installs ok but have not tried it out further as I am waiting for my SeaLevel USB to serial unit to arrive. Contacting SeaLevel they responded with "we will have drivers for W7 within 6 months of its release".

On my machines I have skipped Vista (for no real reason) but am now planning for the switch to W7. Given my age this should be the last time I have to deal with this.

Any advice?

rje

Windows should be making everything backwards compatible. Considering the issues they had with vista, they have likely put more effort into that this time. SeaLevel has more of an issue because they actually have to provide drivers (another argument against using USB devices and using serial or Ethernet, but that's another story). DAQFactory doesn't have any low level drivers, so will likely work ok from day 1. But, we can't do much until October with W7 comes out, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Remember, though, that DAQFactory in production systems really should be run alone to ensure reliability. Running browsers, email, and other user level apps on the same machine as DAQFactory is going to eventually cause you problems unless you reboot every so often, and even then, you are kind of playing with fire. If your app doesn't require perfect reliability, then no problem, but if it does, just go out and buy a $300 Dell with XP on it. DAQFactory doesn't require a lot of resources, so even the cheapest Dell will work just fine.

Windows should be making everything backwards compatible. Considering the issues they had with vista, they have likely put more effort into that this time. SeaLevel has more of an issue because they actually have to provide drivers (another argument against using USB devices and using serial or Ethernet, but that's another story). DAQFactory doesn't have any low level drivers, so will likely work ok from day 1. But, we can't do much until October with W7 comes out, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Remember, though, that DAQFactory in production systems really should be run alone to ensure reliability. Running browsers, email, and other user level apps on the same machine as DAQFactory is going to eventually cause you problems unless you reboot every so often, and even then, you are kind of playing with fire. If your app doesn't require perfect reliability, then no problem, but if it does, just go out and buy a $300 Dell with XP on it. DAQFactory doesn't require a lot of resources, so even the cheapest Dell will work just fine.

Archived