Managing Multiple Display Monitors

I am using a single computer with two monitors to run two instances of DAQFactory, each connected to its own LabJack. I've seen DAQFactory remember which monitor it is active on when shut down, but that appears to be a function of the daqfactory.exe and not the loaded ctl file. I'm wondering if there are any tools (or even hints as to where these values are stored) to make it easier to handle on which monitor the program opens, so I can set a command line flag to make one open on the left on one on the right, and more importantly, offset the various popups that take absolute coordinates so they show up on the correct monitor. I'm thinking I'll have to write a popup handler that takes a monitor value and then fixes all the coordinates, but before I did that I wanted to make sure there wasn't something easier.

DAQFactory isn't really well designed for multimonitors. Something we definitely need to fix as multi-monitor systems are becoming more common (we've been using them in-house since the beginning actually, but back then, that was VERY uncommon).

Anyhow, to answer your question, the window positions are stored in the registry. There are under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, so you may be able to create a second Windows user with equal rights on your PC and do Run As and run the second instance of DAQFactory as this different user. I then believe that it would store two separate copies of the window positions. No guarantees, as I've never tried it, but this would be the only way to get it to work.

Either way, add some requests (preferably with detail) for multimonitor support to the Feature Request forum to make sure we remember to do something about it!

Archived