No. It is basically just like any other Modbus based device. I recommend using the Modbus driver instead of using the native driver. Its a newer driver and takes advantage of the new serial features including port monitoring.

• 2 years later...

Been successfully using DF to communicate Modbus with my Trilogi PLCs basically setting and reading the status of inputs, outputs and relays using Read Coil Status(1) and Force Coil(5).

Can't figure how ro read and set the other stuff in the PLC like Counters, Timers, etc. .....Which I/O Types should I use?

Can you point me in the right direction? Can't seem to find the info I need otherwise.

Had two counters running (1 and 2) on the PLC and Read Holding U16 (3) MODBUS Bit Address 768 and 769 got nothing. Can communicate with the PLC just fine for Inputs, Outputs and Relays, also communicating with the Inverter Drives.

This is what I developed for controlling and monitoring our automated 40,000-liter mixing tank:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/cberkeley/MixTankControl.jpg

Was away and did not catch your response until now. Ok, thanks for the advice, will try that when i get back to the lab on Monday.

BTW the system tests went well on Thursday and we can now monitor all six tanks in the factory. Now to build the rest of the infrastructure (pumps, pipes, valves and flowmeters)

Now trying to control and monitor Automation Direct GS Series Inverter Drives.

Have the monitoring of the drives working fine, so I know that communication is established. Controlling the drive speed/reference

from DF is now presenting some challenges.

According to the GS series manuals:

4-00 "Source of Frequency Command" (default=0) needs to be = 5 "Frequency determined by RS485 Communication interface" .....done that

9-26 "RS485 Speed Reference" Mem Addr 091AH (42331)

DAQ Factory Channel (controlling speed) I/O Type: Set Register S16(6) Chn#: 2331 and a control knob

variable of 0 through 600

No luck, at any control input >0 the drive ramps-up to a speed indicated on the drive as 4.5

zero takes the speed back down to zero.

I've tried scaling the variable up and down but no change. Looked all over the net for information on this area of

controlling the GS Drives but nothing definitive comes up. Will also try contacting Automation Direct today.

Any Ideas would be appreciated??

Correction to my last post/query:

Regardless of the input value I either get Drive error code CE03 "Illegal data value" ....The data value received in the command message is not available for the AC drive.

or

CE04 "Slave device failure" ....The AC drive is unable to perform the requested action.

BTW these queries were also sent to Automation Direct in the hope of some positive feedback.

You need to subtract 1 from your channel # if you are going to strip the 4 (i.e. 2330). Otherwise you can just put the full 42331 in there and DAQFactory will use it, but only if all your other registers are numbered the same way. You have to use one or the other consistently. Its a silly Modbus thing.

Archived