E-mail with SSL

No worries. There are so many good posts here, I can't remember them all.

There are probably other work arounds too. For example, you probably could install php and write some basic script in php and run it from DAQFactory using system.shellexecute(). Actually, you could dynamically create the file within DAQFactory, then call the php engine to run it. You don't need a web server to run php and don't want to go through the browser, just the php executable. If you pass it a file, it will execute whatever code to send the email, and return the resulting html, which you can just ignore. You might need openSSL installed as well.

Hmm, seems like alot of learning to do just to have DF fire me an email when I'm at work that my basement floor drain sensor is sensing water - as in heavy rain and sewer is backing up. Not that there is much I could do because it would take me 30 minutes to get home from work.

I would probably have an easier time in setting up DF to phone me at work.

Curious as to why the SSL problem, I'm no internet/email traffic expert.

RJE

SSL just isn't that easy. Hell, the netburner folks charge $500 just to use the SSL part of their library. We'd have to integrate with some sort of SSL library and that is more involved than you'd think.

An alternative option is to simply find an email provider that doesn't require SSL, or find an open source email server software and run it on the DF computer.

• 2 months later...

We have some 16 systems operating in various places throughout California and we use email and text messaging to our operators cell phones for alarm condition notification.

We have found a free email provider which still uses POP3 w/o SSL and it works well. The provider can be found at www.inbox.com.

Once you set up your account, you will need to activate the POP3 option in order for it to work.

Archived