OPC Server Connecting with Omron PLC

mse3000

Hi, I have recently just completed my first two SCADA systems using DF but have not as yet been asked to integrate with a PLC, so... just looking for some general information here to get me started linking DF to two Omron PLCs. Namely a CJ1G-CPU44H and a CJ1M-CPU13. Both of which are connected to their own HMI, again Omron, NS8-TV00B-V2.

Following a bit of research am I right in thinking this will have to be done through an OPC server? I have found an Omron Toolbus OPC Server through Kepware.com and also the CX-server OPC avaiable through Omrons CX-ONE package. Would both of these be suitable or is there a simpler / cheaper alternative perhaps? Would you also normally link through the HMI device or straight into each of the PLCs?

Anybodies experience or general advice to get me started greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

If any of the devices (the PLC or HMI) support Modbus, you can use the built in DAQFactory Modbus support and avoid the OPC server. As for OPC servers, the ones from softwaretoolbox.com are the best (and are the same as kepware, though perhaps with a different level of support). Cheaper ones might work, but test first before you buy. As for which to query, it depends on the PLC/HMI hardware. Many PLC's only support one connection at a time and the HMI is using one connection. Many HMI's can't be polled.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pointers. I am now left with just one question. Is DAQ FActory OPC version 2 compatible?

I had no trouble using the OPC server provided by software toolbox, but the client wishes to run CX Server OPC, which is unfortunately not detected when searching for OPC servers on the local machine. And hence the only explanation I can find in the CX manual is that the client may not be fully version 2 compatible. Do you think this is the case?

Regards,

Mark

Archived