sms message

In the US, most SMS is done through email (and DAQFactory supports sending email...) Cell phone customers are given an email address, usually phoneNumber@provider.com or similar, and any emails are truncated to 160 characters and echoed to the text messaging system. Outside the US I know this is not always supported. DAQFactory does not support SMS directly, however, you can use a third party service to do it through email, for example: http://www.clickatell.com (using their gateway product). They have an SMTP interface: http://www.clickatell.com/developers/api_smtp.php that will do it through email. They also have FTP and other interfaces that you could also use from DAQFactory, but email is probably the simplest.

• 1 year later...

Possibly. But if you are in the U.S. you can do it right now with email. All carriers in the U.S. that I know of offer an email address that you can send a message to and it will go to SMS. For example, for AT&T its:

10digitmobilenumber@txt.att.net

so, for example:

1234567890@txt.att.net

You also might consider using a web service like Twilio.

But I suppose I'm just repeating myself (now that I read the previous posts). What is your issue with these other techniques?

That's exactly what I've done (SMS via email), from DAQ Factory and other apps, and it works very well. It's very easy (not quite as easy as it used to be before number portability, but still). Shoot, my wife doesn't have a smart phone (so she doesn't receive emails on it per se) and I email texts to her phone all the time.

hi there guys

i live in namibia and we have a mail to text service, but that means we need to be permently connected to the net on our phones. As steve said, i still got a old phone with buttons. one day ill have to get a smart phone, so ill teach myself how to send mail in the meantime. might have difficulty though, got a 3g modem on usb though.

thanks guru

mike

You don't need a smart phone to receive an SMS that originated from an email. That is handled by your carrier. DAQFactory would have to be connected to the Internet of course to send the email, but that email goes to your carrier, which then converts it to SMS and sends it to your phone. It does not matter what type of phone you have as long as it can receive an SMS. It doesn't have to be able to receive email.

Hi ahmedidreas,

another way to send sms whit DaqFactory is by using gsm/gprs modem that support the "at command interface".

Most of the modem,internet dongle and mobile/smart phone support the "at commands".

After connect and install those kind of device to the pc, you'll need to implement the script to do that, through the serial interface (rs232).

It is bit more complicate then do it by email, but more versatile and you will be also able to recive sms letting daqfactory read them. It is very useful in order to remotely interact whit your application.

• 1 year later...

Hi ahmedidreas,

another way to send sms whit DaqFactory is by using gsm/gprs modem that support the "at command interface".

Most of the modem,internet dongle and mobile/smart phone support the "at commands".

After connect and install those kind of device to the pc, you'll need to implement the script to do that, through the serial interface (rs232).

It is bit more complicate then do it by email, but more versatile and you will be also able to recive sms letting daqfactory read them. It is very useful in order to remotely interact whit your application.

Hi,

I was required to provide SMS option for critical alerts, and there is no Internet access for DaqFactory PC.  (Internal site policy - no external access).

So I am purchasing a GSM USB Modem that support AT commands.

I was wondering if someone already implemented an AT script or Device for that matter?

I connected my Nokia phone to DF and it responded ans made SMS,  but still I need to write down the whole scripts and create Documents to support the whole operation.

Archived