Allen Bradley SLC-500 Names

SteveMyres

My customer has installed an existing app developed over five years ago on a new PC (presumably with v5.85 installed or at least a newer version than the one on which it was developed), and has no comms with his PLC. I open the most current copy I have of his app with v5.85 and error shown in the Alert window has to do with being unable to find "dsxabslc5.dll". I look at the names of the drivers and it appears the current DLL name is "pABSLC5.ddp/dll".

I create a new project from scratch with a SLC device and the error is "P-ABSLC5 0510: Timeout Ack" (which is expected since I'm not connected to a PLC).

It sound like he needs to delete the existing device and create a new one, which will then be pointed to the correct driver name, is that right?

Additional symptom description:

1) In running the old CTL under 5.85, I received at least once the "P-ABSLC5 error", like with a new project, and only received the "DSXABSLC5" error when trying to open the Quick Device config dialog.

2) Nothing in the monitor window (even Tx's) makes me think DF can't get the serial port. Checked for other apps which might have the port, deleted the port and let Windows refind it, all to no avail. Next step would be Hyperterminal and a loopback plug to verify the UART/port and driver, but the customer has decided to purchase a new PC. This one was very old anyway. We'll see if that clears the issue.

1) ok, in that case, you weren't actually using the DSX dll, but the dll existed when the document was first created and so the device appears in the list. When you try and open the device config on it, it then tried to load the DLL to get that config. You actually were selecting the wrong device and should look at your channel table to see what the original developer actually named their device. Then you should be able to get to the new serial/ethernet config for the device

2) If DF is properly transmitting (meaning you are seeing a Tx with a proper DF1 packet), but not getting a response than either there are more than one serial ports on the PC and you are sending it out the wrong one, or you have some sort of external problem (serial settings wrong, bad cabling, device ID wrong, bad PLC, etc.)

Archived