Daqfactory to create standalone control application

strantor

I've only just downloaded the trial and I'm playing around with it. I am thinking to use this for an HMI type application using a touchscreen PC. What I'm wondering is if the DAQFactory can generate an application that will totally take over the computer. I.E. PC is loaded with WIN XP and DAQFactory; when it is booted up, there is no option for the user to access the operating system (possibly unless they have an admin password). The user may not even know what operating system is on the PC, as they never see it. They may not even know that the control application is called DAQFactory. The PC just displays a blank screen until fully booted up, at which point the control panel that I design is displayed. The operator cannot move or edit the control panel. A pure operator-oriented environment that may go into a mobile application. Is it possible? what DAQ factory application must I buy to do this? Can the application that I design with DAQFactory be reproduced?

Yes, that can be done for sure and I've seen it on a number of occasions. There are various levels depending on how much you want to spend. To get Windows to not display its banner, you'll likely need to use WinXPe, which I believe is still available. Its also a bit more affordable than regular Windows licenses. You create images that are super easy to replicate. You also get total control over what gets installed. Anyhow, it looks like they now call it: Windows Embedded Enterprise and its available in XP, Vista (not recommended) and 7 versions.

From the DAQFactory point of view, you can easily get DAQFactory to start with Windows. If you add a -f flag to the shortcut, it will cause DF to run in full screen mode with no option to get out of full screen. If the system is a touchscreen only (meaning no mouse and keyboard), then there really is no way for a customer to get out because they won't be able to do Alt-Tab or anything without hooking up a keyboard. Even then, you could get a kiosk software tool to prevent application switching (sorry I don't have any recommendations, they are readily available and quite affordable).

Normal DAQFactory, all the way up to DAQFactory Developer will display a DAQFactory splash on load. If you want to avoid that, you'd have to get the OEM version of DAQFactory which is $4995. This strips the splash among other things so that your operators would not know DAQFactory was being used. It has the same features of DAQFactory Developer, but with the added benefit of branding. You can always upgrade if you don't want to pay for OEM right away.

Not quite. DAQFactory does not create standalone executables. You have to install DAQFactory on any machine you want to run an application on (much the way you have to install Adobe Acrobat Reader on any computer you want to read PDF's on). However, if the DF installation is only Runtime then no edits can be made (again, much the way you need the full Adobe Acrobat to actually create and edit PDF documents). If you want to make sure no one can edit the document even if they go and buy a development version of DAQFactory you should add a document editing password to your application.

Ok, so If I buy the lite, base, standard, Pro, or developer editions, I can install runtime-only (at 99$each for standard and pro) DF software (which is loaded with the *.ctl file that I design), and the operator will not be able to edit it; and If I choose to buy any of the lesser versions, I will have to load DF Express, which will give the operator the chance to edit the *.ctl file unless I password protect it?

Almost correct. If you buy Starter or use Express for development, you won't be able to give your customers Runtimes. You really need at least Lite. Then you can distribute runtime licenses at $99 each (for Lite, Base, Std and Pro). If you purchase Developer, then the runtime licenses are royalty free.

This is interesting!

I'm pretty sure we have developer DF (hardware usb key correct?) and I was curious how to get the Azeotech splash screen off...

So what other advantages beside no azeo splash screen does OEM offer?

Archived