Help needed with a 1-wire temp sensor

bull8042

I want to change out my analog temp probes for the Maxim DS18B20 1-wire serial sensors. Problem is, I really don't know where to start.

I have downloaded some general examples from Maxim's site trying to find some useful info, but one, it is uncompiled source code, Two, I don't have a c-compiler, and three, I am not sure it will be of much help with DAQFactory if I did get it to compile.

I have DAQFactory Base and a LabJack U3-LV and have read the only thread here that deals with this sensor. The difference is, I don't have or plan to use the serial-to-one wire converter that the other individual used since I will only use 3 sensors. That is, unless I have to go that route.

I am thinking the "onewire.write" statements are functions of a Maxim DLL or part of the serial to one-wire and can't imagine the code would be much of a starting point for me as is. Do you have any pointers or maybe sources of info that might help?

I'm not sure which "onewire.write" statements you mean. You shouldn't need to compile the Maxim samples, but rather, link in their DLL into DAQFactory using the extern() statement and then call the functions similar to how they are done in C from within DAQFactory. If you'd like help with this, I'd need to see the .h file that comes with the DLL and maybe a sample .c file or two.

Just an update. It doesn't appear as if using one-wire sensors is a very viable option with the LabJack. There are apparently timing concerns in the high level driver and will require setting up timing in the hardware.

I am not convinced that this is a direction I want to go. So, it looks as if using I2C temp sensors is a better option that will give me the digital sensing without the timing headaches associated with the one-wire components.

I have read the app notes on the I2C, so I think I already have much more info to get me started than I can find for the one-wire. Now, if you happen to have more info for a specific sensor configuration, then I would be more than happy to put it to good use.

Thank you for your awesome technical support. I have always received excellent help from you folks.

Archived