System Requirements

MichaelCappello

I read in the User's Guide that system requirements are: "Any computer capable of running Windows 2000 Pro or newer." So, to be explicit, could you please confim for me that DAQFactory runs on

• Windows XP 32 bit
  • XP 64 bit
  • Vista 32
  • Vista 64
  • 7 32
  • 7 64

Also

• does the operating system need to always be PRO?
  • How long will DAQFactory support the above operating systems? Are there currently any plans to discontinue support?
  • does DAQFactory run on anything other than windows? Or are there any plans to do so, what are the dates...

Yes, DF will run on all those OS's, though I believe you'll want SP2 for XP. The OS does not need to be Pro and as far as I know runs on all versions, probably even Media Center.

We will continue to support XP at least through XPe's Extended Support End date of December 2016, and probably much farther than that. Of course, we do not force you to upgrade DAQFactory, so a system running the current release of DAQFactory 5.87, will run on XP forever. The next big release of DAQFactory should allow both forward and backward document support to some degree (meaning you could open a document created in a newer release of DAQFactory in an older release).

DAQFactory currently only runs on Windows, however, we are refactoring the core DAQFactory as we speak, both for general improvements, as well as making more cross platform code base by avoiding all Microsoft technologies. I do not have any dates. The most likely first non-Windows release will be on an embedded platform and will not have a UI. However, you will be able to develop on a Windows platform, then transfer the document to the embedded platform which runs a real time OS.

• 1 year later...

. The most likely first non-Windows release will be on an embedded platform and will not have a UI. However, you will be able to develop on a Windows platform, then transfer the document to the embedded platform which runs a real time OS.

How is this coming along? I am interested in this right now.

Slowly.  We are trying our best to do this in a way that will allow for some backwards compatability, or at least so that any changes that don't allow this are minor and implemented over time so customers can slowly migrate.  The alternative is to simply rebuild DAQFactory and make it so any document created in an older version will not work.  It is something we have considered, but the general response from customers is that maintaining backwards compatability is more important, and so the migration is taking a lot longer.  If you need assistance with an embedded platform, you should contact us directly via email to discuss your application.  It may be possible to adapt what we have created for your needs very easily.

Archived