Compiled File For Distribution As Runtime

An option in development mode to create a pre-compiled file (CTLX or something) that can be distributed and run as a runtime on a machine with DAQ Factory installed, in the same way that a CTL can, but which cannot be decompiled or opened for editing. This version would obviously not allow runtime edits (since it allows no edits at all).

Possibly allow certain config items to still be able to be specified at runtime (port settings, target IP addresses, etc.). If that isn't feasible, developers could still have those settings in a user editable file and create the variable items internally in script after importing the config/ini files.

Note that I'm not suggesting the ability to create standalone exe's (though that would obviously be very cool if feasible) just a hard app file that can't be edited or viewed, and doesn't have a password to bypass.

• 2 months later...

I second this emotion.

Really, this would be very handy (reassuring?) for us with clients in far away places.

I know, I know, and I've taken all precautions mentioned in the forum, and all treasured personal advice you've sent me on security, but this seems like a really great idea for boneheads like me and all those to come.

• 9 months later...

I'd really, really like to see this feature integrated soon.

I would also appreciate if you could do a primer on methods for copy protecting our CTL's.  This becomes especially important if we're  building them into systems in quantity and shipping them to sites unseen, as opposed to traditional one-off industrial integration projects.

And also the DDP compilation/encryption issue for storing frequently used functions as in a library.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

A hierarchical sequence list, which I think was already requested by someone for general organizing purposes, would provide a convenient alternative to  encryption of external library DDP's, except in those cases where you don't want to password the entire CTL.  (Plus would save us from having to type "Device.MyLibrary.MyFunction()" every time we use one of them)  If you have 100 reusable functions in the library, you don't want a flat sequence list, because the app-specific sequences get lost in the list of 100.

Or, if not a hierarchical list under the current Sequence category, then maybe a new top level sequence sequence category called "Library functions" or something.

Archived