"unable To Initialize Com9" Error With No Com Ports Set Up

gkimsey

I get the error: "Unable to initialize Com9: Can't access port, probably in use by another app"

But I'm no longer trying to use a serial port (I was a long time ago when working on this project). I'm not sure where the error is coming from (or rather, why DAQFactory is trying ot initialize Com9 at all).

Under "Device Configuration..." I don't see any custom device I created. When in safe mode if I do "Delete Comm Device..." there's nothing in the list.

Where else should I look? Typically in these situations I would crack open a project's XML or configuration file and search for "com9" but it doesn't looke like I can do that with .CTL files.

Another topic sort of talks about this here, but it's regarding how to keep the error message from showing up when legitimately using a COM port, which I'm not (or don't want to be).

http://www.azeotech.com/board/index.php?/topic/4366-how-to-avoid-error-message/page__hl__%2Bcan%26%2339%3Bt+%2Baccess+%2Bport

Its possible its an orphaned port reference. Truthfully, you can just ignore the error. It won't affect the performance of your program since you aren't accessing the port. Its just trying to initialize it on load, and that gets done in a background thread.

OK, so there's not a way to flush it out of the project file? When it's just me using the project I can easily enough ignore the error, but other users will be confused by it and think something is genuinely wrong.

Can I catch or hide it some way?

OK, now that I have the document: it's not an orphaned reference. I was able to go in and delete it using standard tools. The issue is that you have a port that isn't associated with any device. Deleting a comm Device doesn't delete the associated port because its possible to have more than one Device attached to a port. In your case, you have no devices, but the port remains. To delete the port, simply go to Quick - Device Configuration, then select new Serial / Ethernet device. You'll then see the port, in your case named COM0 even though its com port 9 (the name has no association to what its attached to, its just the name you gave it). You can now select it and click Delete Port. You can then cancel out of the window without creating a new device.

Archived