Can't Copy And Paste In Df 5.90

dle

I can't copy or cut and paste a component like I could from previous version.

The duplicate function is usable but if I want to copy or cut a component from one page and paste it to another page, I can’t do that now.

Also, if I accidently unplug the development key before completely closing DF, there is a chance to lose all the work.

It seem like DF having a new function is also created an issue.

I spent several hours to create an interface for my application. I actually save and closed DF then pulled out the dongle key. A message kept popping up saying license not found. I clicked cancel but the message wouldn't disappear. I had to plug the dongle back and click “try again” few times before it disappeared. Then another message appeared "do you want to save your file" I just clicked “yes”. Next morning, I opened the *.ctl file and the only thing I saw was a blank page. All the sequences, channels, graphs... were not there and the size of the ctl file is 2 Byte 

I save my *.ctl file every 5 minutes. If all my work has gone then it should be something else. I don’t know if it was when the message popped up and I clicked “save”, somehow it linked to my ctl file and save a blank page to it.

I don’t remember exactly the scenario how I got those messages popped up but if it happen to you, you should be aware.

What I mean in the last sentence is whenever there is a new release of DF I see an issue that I didn’t see from previous version.  

Regard

Thank you for the detail.  I know understand better and will try and reproduce.  I'm sorry for any lost work.

Yes, with any new major release there are bound to be some issues.  This is true with just about any software unfortunately, and especially so with a tool like DAQFactory that can be used in so many different ways.  In this case, there was a change to how the hard key was processed.  In 5.87 when a trial expired, it would revert to Express.  What happened was that customers using hard keys would accidently pull their hard key during development.  The system would revert to Express without them knowing, they'd save, then lose a bunch of pages and channels because Express is limited.  So, now Express can only be reached through a separate shortcut, and the full shortcut works like it did before.  To be clear, exactly when did you pull the key?  After you quit DAQFactory and the main window disappeared?

I pulled the key after I close DF (the DF windows disappeared) . I was such in a hurry and those steps (save, click the x to close DF and pull the key off) happen very fast.  

I tried the new DF 5.90.1. The Copy and paste is actually Cut and Paste and the Cut and Paste is not working

Unfortunately the hard key thing probably isn't a 5.90 issue.  DAQFactory can take a second to shut down even after the window disappears.  During that time, the recurring timer that checks the hard key must have triggered, but after the document had been emptied during shutdown, but before other stuff cleared out.  It really just comes down to bad timing.  That all said, we'll take a look at how we can prevent that from happening in the future.

As for copy / paste, 5.90.1 definitely has that fixed.  I'm thinking that something got messed up in the upload and 5.90.1 is actually still 5.90.  I'm going to check now and will post an update here in a few minutes.

MFC stands for Microsoft Foundation Class.  Its the library many Windows applications use to work with the Windows operating system, especially ones written in C++.  MFC provides the common "document / view" architecture you see in most applications, at least the ones file the File - Save and other common menu items.  MFC also provides the mechanism for writing a .ctl file to disk.  My guess is that MFC creates a temporary file as its writing the .ctl doc containing some of the data, and then deletes the file when the file is completely saved.  It is not a file that can be used for anything.

Unfortunately if you don't have a backup you are out of luck.  Disk corruption happens in any application, not to mention hard drive crashes.  It is therefore very important to keep backups of anything you don't want to lose, again no matter what the application.  I strongly recommend you develop a backup strategy for all your important documents, which should include an offsite component so you don't lose important files in the chance of a fire or other disaster.  I personally use an automatic backup tool to a USB drive (rotating, so I can go back several revisions), combined with rotating offsite into a safe deposit box, as well as using a Source Code Version Control tool running on an external server that keeps all revisions.  On top of that I do occasional DVD backups stored in other off site locations of truly important items (like photos of my kid).

On top of that, you always want to backup your .ctl document, even if its just to copy it to another part of your harddrive, before opening it in a new release, since once you save it in the new release you can't go back.  

• 7 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but though I would add that I do not have consistant behavior with the copy/paste function.  I finally think I have discerned some of the differences. On the command/alert window, if you highlight text, and hit Ctrl-C it does not copy, and the same in the help window.  If you highlight the text, and right-click and then choose "copy", then it will copy the text.

Cntl-C is very much an expected feature of a window's based program, and can create problems if it is not there. E.g. you had some code in your clipboard that you had pasted into a code window, but later decided to replace it with code you copied from the help file using Cntl-C and then Cntl-V.  You might be tempted to think your code now has the new text pasted where the old one was, but it is not.

-Joe

Archived