Radio Button Groups With Separate Control And Display Values

Often if you're running with DF primarily as a UI to a remote controller, many of the inputs to the controller from DF are essentially requests.  The operator is requesting something which the controller might be interlocked and refuse to do, or there may be other logic in addition to the operator that sometimes controls the state.

For this reason, I often use feedback from the controller of the variable I'm adjusting, so that the DF display tracks the true variable state.

A similar situation exists with a multi-state selection like a radio button group, so it would be convenient to have the ability to be able to configure a set-to channel and a separate channel or variable as the source for which button is shown chosen.  For the moment I just did this with a bunch of buttons and indicators formatted to look like radio buttons.

Thanks!

The problem with this is that you are using a component that is typically used as a configuration component as a display component.  This, in my opinion, is bad form for the reasons I've stated about using edit boxes on the primary pages of HMI screens (see the blog).  Really, you should not use these components to display status, and in general they should really only be used in popups or screens that are designed for configuration and not real time display.  The components are: the 4 varieties of edit box (single, pwd, multiline, and date/time), combo, radio and checkbox.  In addition to the reasons I stated in that blog post, there is also the fact that these controls are common windows controls seen in many other applications and therefore user's expect them to work a certain way.

Archived