Using For To Change Variable Name

KenMandile

I am trying to save myself some time by using a for statement to step through a set of variable names.  I have 29 machines being monitored and when I need to change or create script for all 29 it takes awhile.

Here is an example of a piece of script that works fine:

while(1)

Global Star_22_24hr = 300 * (sum(GREEN_22[systime(), systime()-86400] == 0))/86400  //calculates % of up time over past 24 hours
      Global Star_22_1hr = 300 * (sum(GREEN_22[systime(), systime()-3600] == 0))/3600     //calculates % of up time over past hour
      Delay(5)

endwhile

Star_22_24hr and Star_22_1hr are the variables that I am calculating using data from the corresponding channel GREEN_22.  

Rather than write this over 29 times, I tried this:

while(1)
       Private.machine = 17                      //machine #17 is the first machine in this group
       for (machine = 17, 28, machine ++)               //loop from 17 to 28
             Global "Star_" + machine + "_24hr" = 300 * (sum("GREEN_" + machine [systime(), systime()-86400] == 0))/86400             //calculates % of up time over past 24 hours
             Global "Star_"  + machine + "_1hr" = 300 * (sum("GREEN_" + machine [systime(), systime()-3600] == 0))/3600                  //calculates % of up time over past hour
       endfor
       delay(5)
endwhile

It runs without errors, but it also does not seem to be putting any values in the variables.

You need to build up a string and pass that string to execute().  I'm not sure what the compiler is going to do with the code you wrote.  Anyhow, it should look like this:

execute("Global Star_" + machine + "_1hr = 300 * (sum(GREEN_" + machine + "[systime(), systime()-3600] == 0))/3600")

Archived