Rocker Switch Image -Make Clearer To Understand

I have tried out the rocker switches, but have found them confusing. it just looks like a rectangle with two different shades of gray.  Eventually I figured out that the 2position rocker had an indicator light. Which does make it clear. But, I am concerned the casual user may not realize what is happening.

In trying to figure out a way to make it better, I think just making the view of it slightly to the side would be one way.  Though, on a page, it might need a left-hand and a right-hand version for the programmer to choose from.   The same thing is less of an issue with a slider switch, since the textured part of the switch looks "to me" like a standard slide switch.  But, I suspect that it, too, would benefit from having a bit of a side profile.

The following is just one of those things that are fun to talk about, but are not of any real benefit to the end user. Though, it might get you noticed on a trade-show floor and a mention in a trade magazine because of the, "that's so cool" factor.

I guess the ultimate solution is an auto-stereoscopic display, with 3D images!  But, an object with 1/2" of depth would not benefit from stereo anyway. I wonder if head tracking would allow a 2D monitor to just change its perspective based on the position of the operator.

-Joe

Archived