Deleting Components

I'm building a page with 24 cells, and have written a sequence that adjusts the spacing of cells 2-24 based on position of cell 1, since the components are all named with a cell number suffix and are created by duplicating the cell 1 component with the ctrl-D function.  Mostly it works, but somewhere along the way some duplicate cell 1 components were created but they are not visible on the page, even after setting the coordinates to valid values and making sure the visible property is 1.  Is there a programmatic way to delete a component?  I think I remember that the answer has been no, but just wondering if there might now be some way to get rid of unwanted components that can't be picked.

My guess is that the duplicates are actually right on top of the original, especially if you are trying to programmatically move them.

But, if that's not the case, create a blank page, copy all the controls over to that page (by selecting them, NOT select all).  Then delete the old page.  

I'm not necessarily recommending moving up to 5.90, but under 5.90, all components are listed in the workspace and as such you can select them even when they are invisible by clicking on them in the workspace.  You might consider putting 5.90 on a backup machine (or it can even run concurrently with 5.87, just install to different directory and make sure you pay attention to which version you are running).  Then you could at least see if the duplicates are still there.  You could also use the script dump feature when needed, while still keeping your app running in 5.87.

I am running 5.90 2183, the list of components does expand under the page name, the duplicate name is not shown twice in the list.  Using the compiler helper for component.item.property in the command line, I can see two of each property choice in the list.  If I delete the item that is visible in the symbol tree (and that I can see on the page), I can still access the other mystery component.item.positionleft etc and set the coordinates to an area I can see, and set the visible property it does not appear.  So it is somewhere in the system, but not in any of the page list symbol trees.

Update (customer emailed doc for review): the missing components were, in fact, on a scratch page with the same name.  A quick FYI, you can reference components in script two ways:

component.myComponent:  this will find the component by name across all pages

page.myPage.component.myComponent: this will limit the search for myComponent to myPage

Archived