Defining Constants

I am using DAQFactory with a LabJack to log the temperature. 

The temperature signal feeds into the LabJack via a voltage divider also to calculate the temperature from the resistance I have to perform a quadratic equation.

I have got all this to work but I am trying to make it simpler for others to use so I set up a page with popup's so the can define the voltage divider settings (R1 and R2) as well as the coefficients of the quadratic equation but I when I define R1 = 10 for example, anyhting that refers to it just updates the value at the time R1 was defined.

Is there anyway/anywhere I can define my constants which can be changed when the user decides? I've tried using 'test' devices with D to A outputs and I've tried creating V Channels but these only seem to work when the value is being updated periodically in time. I Just want to put R1 = 0 and leave it and change it later if I need.

Thanks

A Test D/A is probably the way to go.  Set the Persist to 1 so it keeps the value after restart, and make sure the Timing is 0 (it should force that with D/A).  Set the History to 1 too so you don't get any history.  You can then do:

R1 = 3

and it will put that value in the channel.  And you can access it simply with:

R1

Hi,

Thanks for your help but my problem still persists. Essentially what have done is set a conversion on the channel I am measuring the equation is just numbers and value i.e.

VoltageToResis = equation*value 

This conversion is applied to the channel TemperatureResistance so this displays the resistance of the probe. I then on the event tab of the TemperatureResistance channel did

Temperature.AddValue(equation*R0)

and in the Temperature channel it does update to the correct temperature but the issue I'm having is once I define this, the timestamp for the recorded data uses the time assigned to R0.

I have tried both R0 and R0[0].

Thanks again for your help

TechGuy,

What do you mean by 'between restarts'.

I've tried making a new file with one input channel with LabJackUD as its device and then I added two test channels, one called output which would display the modifed data and the other channel called constant.

In the event tab of the input channel I wrote 

output.AddValue(input[0]*constant[0])

but I still have the problem where the timestamp for output is stuck on the timestamp for my constant

Steve, how do I define and redefine global variables?  

I mean between when you quit DAQFactory and you start it up again.  Global variables will reinitialize to their defaults (if any).

You can fix the timestamp issue by using insertTime():

output.addValue(insertTime(input[0]*constant[0], input.time[0], 0))

I mean between when you quit DAQFactory and you start it up again.  Global variables will reinitialize to their defaults (if any).

You can fix the timestamp issue by using insertTime():

output.addValue(insertTime(input[0]*constant[0], input.time[0], 0))

The insertTime(): function worked.

Thanks for the help

Archived