Installing new version removes previous version.... WHY?

RodSwan

Having an installed base of various versions of DaqFactory I need to keep multiple versions live on my development system.

I Just installed version 16.3 into a new directory:

c:\program files(x86)\daqfactory16.3

and it removed most of the files from my previous installation in 

c:\program files(x86)\daqfactory16.1

Thats a pain. I now have to re-install the previous version (hope it doesn't remove the later version!)

Rod.

When going from 16.1 to 16.3, just install 16.1 into a folder, then rename DAQFactory.exe to, say, DAQFactory16_1.exe then install 16.3 over top of it.  That executable is about the only thing that changed.  Two different folders is only going to work between anything before and including 5.87c, and anything after and including 5.90.  We switched installers at 5.90 and the new installer doesn't really allow two different versions unless you rename the executable as I mentioned.

Thanks for quick reply.

Problem with that ithough is that it can get terribly confusing.... running either version and selecting menu "About" both show only version number of latest version (actually that of Daqfactory.exe program)

ok..its manageable but rather confusing.

I now have versions 5.91, 16.1, and 16.3 installed and working... mostly ok.

I had to unlock versions 16.1 and 16.3 again as I had to do a full re-install to get both working.

Problem now is when I try to use the symbol library, it tells me I'm still in demo mode and only allows use of first symbol... but I don't get the "Product Evaluation" dialog when starting DAQFactory.

Will this affect running in Runtime only mode as well?

Rod.

Runtime doesn't have access to the symbol library, but of course, any symbols you may have pasted from the symbol library into your application will appear in Runtime.

There really is no reason to maintain those different releases.  5.87 is a different build, so I can understand maintaining a 5.87 version and a 16.3, but if you are using 5.91 or 16.1, you really should consider upgrading those systems to 16.3 as 16.3 addresses bugs, and of course has new, useful features.  5.91 to 16.1 may sound like a big jump, but its not.  We simply decided to change our numbering scheme to be [year].[release in the year]

Archived