Acquired data format change

Salvatore

Dear Sirs, Intelener acquired a LabLack T7 PRO DAQ and is currently using DAQFactory to acquire data; the host computer has Windows 8 OS and USB port is used to connect LabJack T/ PRO to the host.

Acquisition is for both analog AIN0 - AIN7 channels and digital FI0 - FI3 ones with the following settings: 5s acquisition time, custom time for X-axis, voltage for Y axis, self division of files, each of 8640 rows, fields separed by ;, continue on error.

By opening .csv files by Excel (both in windows and in MAC-iOS computers) it was observed this fact: in the voltage column some values are recognized by Excel as numbers, while other values are read by Excel as general; please, see the here reported example screenshot, in which left-sided values are read as general, and right-sided ones are properly seen as numbers. This fact happened one time in some channels, and more times in others: positions and lenghts  of both number blocks and general format ones are not constant in different files.

Excel.PNG.e680eab00faf8317120115029c822fbe.PNG

We tried to transform general values into numbers, but we couldn't do this anyway.

Please, could explain us the reason and tell how con avoid this, or transform generalvalues into numbers to display graphics?

Thank you very much.

My best regards

Salvatore

The reason the numbers starting with 4 and 5 are recognized as general is because there are two decimal places in the number, which of course cannot exist.  That is also why you cannot convert these to number format in Excel.  How this is happening I cannot say without seeing an example .csv file and your .ctl file.

Dear Administrators,

in the screenshot valus starting with 4 or 5 are read as numbers, while that ones starting with 0 are read as general; the double point doesn't affect the Excel evaluation of the value.

Logging settings are equal for all acquired and logged channnels.

My best regards

Salvatore

The problem is probably related to how your system recognizes decimal points.  In much of the world, a decimal point is ".", but in many parts, the common notation is to use "," for a decimal point, and "." for a comma.  My guess is that your system is setup in this way and that is what is confusing Excel.  But as I said, I really need to see the raw csv file, and ideally your DAQFactory .ctl file to be sure.  If you don't want to post these here, you can email us at support@

Dear Administrators,

here are two screenshots evidencing both values starting with 4 or 5 are read as numbers, while that ones starting with 0 are accepted as general.

Excel1.PNG.b5da6171bbeb44bb83307a9502677ddc.PNG

Excel2.PNG.d56ee4186799940a41909f87c152a66d.PNG

I'm sorry but I could provide you of both the raw .csv and the .ctl files only monday morning, as here in Italy is 8PM and I'm at home.

Thank you very much.

I wish you a good Saturday.

My best regards

Salvatore

Excel1.PNG

I think part of the problem is that you are using the .csv extension which stands for "Comma Separated Values", but you are then separating your values with a semicolon.  Excel is getting confused because it is looking for commas.  I would start by trying to use a different extension, maybe ".txt", at which point Excel will likely ask you what you delimited with when you load the data.

Are the digital FIO channels inputs or outputs?