Licensing

farky

I'm installing DAQ-Factory on another PC and will be using my hardware key for development, in fact I probably need it on another PC as well so 4 in all as I already have it on a PC that is running an application with a runtime license. Once I've got this current application I'll need a runtime license for the PC it finally ends up on. Can I purchase the runtime direct from yourselves or do I go through my supplier which was Amplicon years ago?

I thought that I could install it on as many PCs as I wanted and use the hardware key on whichever one I'm working at to develop a new application. I tried installing it on another laptop today but was told it was already in use "Key already used to unlock package" which is correct. Is there a way my key for DAQFactory Pro can be allowed to be used on other PC's?

You can purchase direct from us.  Amplicon no longer carries DAQFactory.

As for the license, if you have Pro and not the $3299 Developer, then you need one license for each computer.  That license can be a runtime, which does not allow edits, or a Pro license.  Alternatively, you can put your Pro license on a hardware key, and put runtime licenses on the actual computers.  Then you can move the Pro license to other computers.  You should not be using your 15 letter unlock key to unlock multiple computers as this is against the EULA.  The exception, of course, would be if you are moving the license permanently, such as when a computer dies.  To be compliant, you should make sure the number of unlocked computers  + hardware keys = number of licenses purchased.

Note that if you have Developer it is different.

Ok, so as I understand it I need a runtime license on any computer with DAQFactory in addition to the hardware key which I swap to whichever computer I'm developing the software on?

If I purchase an additional runtime license, which I intend to do, can I install it on a laptop at the moment - for development using my hardware key for Pro, then move the runtime license off the laptop to another PC that will be running the finalized application?

Yes, that is correct.  If you have the Pro license on the hardware key, then you would need a Runtime for each computer.

As for your second question, you do not need a Runtime license while you are using the Pro key.  The Pro license can be run in Runtime mode so that you can see what your application would look like on a runtime system.  So, I would just do that: develop on your laptop using just the Pro key, then when you are ready get a runtime license for the new computer.

One note: make sure you do not have the hardware key inserted when you license a computer with a Runtime license, otherwise it will put the runtime license on the key and overwrite the Pro license.

Sorry to be a pain, more below:-

"As for your second question, you do not need a Runtime license while you are using the Pro key.  The Pro license can be run in Runtime mode so that you can see what your application would look like on a runtime system.  So, I would just do that: develop on your laptop using just the Pro key, then when you are ready get a runtime license for the new computer." that was what I was trying to do, using my license key for Pro and registering on line or manually on that second laptop, but it stops me as I have the Pro license key on the first laptop, but I thought that would be ok as I can obviously only run DAQfactory on the laptop that has the USB key inserted?

Good tip about the runtime license when I install that.

I see the problem!

The USB key has the Pro License on it and I have the 15 letter License key for Pro which is installed on one laptop. It was that same 15 letter key I tried to use again on the second laptop - hence 2 development machines which is what I'm trying to achieve. My thought was that would be ok as only one USB key means only one machine can be running DAQFactory. 

OK, so you shouldn't use the 15 letter key for Pro anymore since you have the license on the hardware key.  If you have used the key on a system, then you should (without the hardware key inserted) go to Tools - Remove Development license.  That way, your one Pro license is just on the hardware key, which you can move to any computer.

I understand that now. However on my main laptop if I don't have the usb key inserted DAQFactory comes up with "You are running a trial version of Daqfactory Pro"  with Exit, Online Unlock and Manual Unlock buttons as to be expected - means there is not a license key entered on this computer, conversely if I have the USB Key installed it runs fine as expected.

Trying the same on the other laptop where I installed DAQFactory yesterday without the USB key inserted or with it inserted I get the DAQFactory Trial 24 days left and Continue, Online Unlock, and Manual Unlock buttons, hence me thinking I had to put the 15 Letter Key in to unlock it.  So it may be a driver problem for the USB Key. When inserting it I get a driver install popup saying it is installing a driver for Cryptokey.

Now looking at that in Device Manager it has a yellow warning triangle when the USB Key is inserted and on the Laptop that works I have a driver that is ok and it's called CBUSB 2.0 from MARX CryptoTech LP so this must be the problem but I didn't have to do anything special on the first laptop to get that driver - mind you I probably had DAQFactory installed on that for 4 or 5 years. This must be the problem. Where would I find that correct driver?

Sorry about all this, I feel I've wasted your time. I've found and run CBsetup from the DAQFactory folder and it all now works as expected on the second laptop.

Great - I'll get the App finished then buy a new PC for running it and at the same time purchase a runtime license for it.

• 1 year later...

I've got the developer license on a hardware key. The license is used for local editing, and the file is then deployed to remote computers in the field.

I occasionally have need to edit the remote files in situ for debugging, where local testing isn't adequate. What is the best way to achieve this? I would want to be able to do the remote editing on multiple different machines, but typically only for a few hours at a time. After that they would go back to runtime.

• 3 weeks later...