Thermocouple low temperatures

Inalfa

I am using the UE9 (with CB37) at the moment to log 5 temperatures, using K-type thermocouples.

I need the highest possible resolution (1 degree Celsius), but also I need to measure temperatures below zero.

With the range set to a high resolution I can not measure below zero.

Is there an alternative way?

Is it perhaps possible to set the range to (109), bipolar -0.62V to 0.62V?

Kind Regards,

Marc Coenen

Inalfa Roof Systems

Thanks for quick responce,

I have to measure till -40 degrees Celcius.

I set the range to 9 (-0.625V to 0.625V), it seems to work. However I did not calibrate it below zero till now.

Do you know if the measurements below zero are reliable?

Kind Regards,

Marc Coenen.

The UE9 does have bipolar ranges with gain (LJ_rgBIP2P5V, LJ_rgBIP1P25V, LJ_rgBIPP625V), but they have not been tested enough to be specified or supported. They are calibrated at the factory, and the low-level functions can use them, but they do not work with the UD driver. The bipolar ranges with gain are likely a little noisier and slower than the normal specified ranges.

-40 degrees C is only -1.5 mV of output from a type K thermocouple. You can read that no problem with any of the unipolar ranges such as 0-0.625. The unipolar ranges go to about -12 mV, and the negative limit of a type K thermocouple is -270 degrees C where it outputs only -6.5 mV. Even if the bipolar LJ_rgBIPP625V range is supported, the unipolar LJ_rgUNIP625V range will handle the output of your thermocouple with resolution that is better by a factor of 2.

• 2 months later...

Archived