USB to Modbus device driver failure

joddde

The content of my interaction with Azeotech below.

Me:

Hello , I'm getting blue screens while using the latest version of daqfactory on windows vista basic. It only been happening since I added 5 more channels and built a new display with 2 guages 2 led bars 2 leds and 2 numbers on it. I've been running this copy for a long time with 3 channels and one trend display. All channels are modbus tcp/rdu. I suspect one of the new display elements. Any ideas.

AzeoTech:

That is unlikely, but always possible. There have been no other reports of any issues with Vista, so it has something to do with your system. To find out if it is something to do with the controls, try creating a blank document and just start adding the controls again. It is, however, much more likely that you installed something, or something did an auto-update that corrupted some system files, or your .ctl doc is simply corrupted. Blue screen is actually surprisingly hard to achieve in the newer versions of windows from a user app. Are you using a USB to serial converter?

Me:

Yes I am using a usb to modbus converter. It's a prolific model UT-850. I had a hard time finding a vista driver for as well. What kind of trouble have you seen with these?

AzeoTech:

I have seen trouble in general with lesser quality USB to serial converters. The problem isn't the hardware, but the virtual comm port software they provide. A lot of these converters use the same chip, just repackaged (often in industrial packaging), but since they use the same chip, they use the same comm port driver. Getting user software to cause a bluescreen is actually pretty much impossible nowadays. Blue screens are caused by software that runs a lot closer to the hardware, such as drivers. It likely just appears that DF is causing it because DF is, without it really knowing it, calling this comm port driver.

Quick check: Load a blank DAQFactory, then go File - Open in safe mode, and open your doc. If it crashes, then you should test your component theorey and open a new blank doc and try adding the new controls you added. If it doesn't crash, then the problem is almost certainly the converter and its associated software. In this case you should either consider getting a better converter, such as the ones from sealevel.com, or simply use a serial to ethernet converter instead, which is my personal prefrence. Serial to ethernet converters can be used with DF without extra drivers. In fact, you shouldn't even install any software if you get one. SeaLevel also makes good serial to ethernet converters.

Me:

I'll try safe mode. I'll bet it's the serial driver. I prefer modbus tcp as well. Will let you know. Thanks

AzeoTech

With a serial to Ethernet converter you can do modbus rtu over Ethernet.

Me:

It was the usb-modbus comms. Removed the device and got no more crashes. Thanks

AzeoTech

Great. Glad it is resolved. Would you mind posting the problem and resolution on our forum. It seems like we constantly have to convince people not to use these converters and a true tale of their problems would really help.

Archived