Logging to remote MySQL database? How?

shimh

Is it possible that DatFactory logs data to a remote MySQL database? And how to do it?

In the manual, "ODBC is convenient if you ultimately want your data in a database, but it is very slow, especially when logging directly to Microsoft formats such as Excel and Access. We see 20 rows per second maximum update rates for these formats. You may see better performance, especially if you are writing to a native SQL database." So is ODBC the only way DaqFactory communicates witha database? Possible to use native way?

Thanks.

Yes, you can log to MySQL through ODBC. The comment about ODBC performance relates solely to Access and especially Excel. It works quite well with MySQL. We cannot use the native way because the native driver is released under the GPL which means if we used it, DAQFactory would have to be open source.

Does MySQL have to reside locally with DaqFactory? If it can be on a remote computer, what connection model is possible or recommended?

|daqfactory |------------------> |odbc --- mysql|, or

|daqfactory---odbc|--------------------->|mysql|?

Thanks.

I'm not sure you have a choice. I believe ODBC needs to be local and connect to a remote MySQL. I'd want to do that anyway as I'd imagine MySQL networking is more optimized for the database than ODBC, which doesn't really know what the database is.

• 2 years later...

Hi there!

i tried it and works fine enough! i'm using my local ODBC to access remote database. One part of DF works on

recording energy values via ODBC again but on the remote PC. then i read them via my local ODBC like i say

first. so on this project i have two ODBC and two DF which they're working localy. ciao..

Archived