Creating new sequence with DF running?

RJE

I do most of the grunt work on another computer, debug/testing etc. I want to bring my new sequnces to the machine that runs my main DF system, create the channels etc.

Can I clean up the new sequences, create channels with DF running sequences or should I shut it down to do this?

Haven't tried it but gut tells me to shut down the running sequences.

RJE

Yes, you can definitely make edits, add new sequences, channels, edit pages, etc. while existing sequences, polling, etc. are running. You just have to remember two things:

1) if you edit a sequence that is running, you have to restart it to have it take any changes, however, if you call into a sequence as a function, the next time it gets called as a function it will pick up the changes once you Apply them.

2) more obvious: if you change something that a running sequence is working on, depending on your logic, you may cause weird things to happen. As I said, more obvious, and you'll probably know if you are going to do it and what it might cause. Its totally dependent on your logic. If your sequences work on completely different things, then there is no issue.

3) also obvious (and yes, I said 2): if you accidentally write a sequence loop with no delay()'s and thus hang the system, it will bring everything down with it.

Warnings noted.

Just wanted to create a new sequence, paste the script, create needed channels and spruce it up some.

For final test will shutdown running sequences and test.

Thanks

Archived