Binary/ASCII Logging Method Screw Up

blrooke

I have DF set up to log 1Hz hourly csv data files in ASCII delimited on a remote meteorological and wind turbine monitoring station.

For some reason DF changed the logging method to Binary 32 bit floating point for about 5 days before I noticed the data logs were screwy.

1) Has anyone had DF change this logging method setting on them?

2) Is there anyway to rescue my 5 days of data now that it is written to .csv as binary?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've never heard of this happening before. My guess is there is some external influence...

As for rescuing the data, what data analysis tool are you post-processing your data with? The binary 32 bit floating format is described in the help, and most reasonable data analysis tools should be able to process this data format if you rename the extension so it doesn't think its a CSV file. Note that I don't consider Excel a reasonable data analysis tool. Its ok for basic stuff, but won't be able to read binary files. Personally I like Igor, but there are many other good tools available as well.

We are post processing the data using VB code. We are doing the data analysis using a wind data analysis package called Windographer. I have also been playing around with Matlab. Thanks for the tip on IgorPro - I should look into this program.

What extension should I be renaming the file to read it? .bin? I have no experience in binary data logging so any help is much appreciated.

Not .bin, maybe .dat? It needs to be something that isn't associated with a program, or a recognized standard format. Its really up to the program that reads it. Programs like Excel try to determine the file format from the extension. Igor's raw read functions don't do that.

Note that you might be able to do it directly from DAQFactory using the file.readinter() function. But first you need to figure out what Time sig figs you specified and how many columns of data you have.

Archived