Hi I have a system with around 500 channels some OPC some modbus some internally generated and some as variables which I need to log any alarms.

The program slowed so I tried the sequence from the manual to slow the alarms which has worked but It gives repeat logs for acknowledged alarms any ideas.

The program is very large and contains a lot of email and other data so I have not posted it here.

regards

Nigel

sequence

while(1)

Alarm.Paused = 1

delay(120)

Alarm.Paused = 0

Alarm.CheckAlarms()

lastalarm.AddValue(alarm.strLatestAlarm)

if(Alarm.FiredCountTotal[0]>=1)

activealarm.AddValue(1)

endif

endwhile

Alarm.Paused = 1

while(1)

//Alarm.Paused = 1

delay(120)

Alarm.Paused = 0

Alarm.CheckAlarms()

activealarm.AddValue(1)

endif

endwhile

This went mad, I think it was because of the alarm paused =0 line

Have tried this now

Alarm.Paused = 1

while(1)

//Alarm.Paused = 1

delay(120)

//Alarm.Paused = 0

Alarm.CheckAlarms()

activealarm.AddValue(1)

endif

endwhile

this still throws up the error. for example if a machine is switched off or is is warming up all the heater zones will be outside the set points and so will alarm. this works ok BUT there will always be one or more that will realarm after being acknowledged and generate another log entry. another weird one is an alarm that realarms and shows its status as reset at exactly the same time. its just the waste of log file space that is the real issue - any ideas?

sample from log file

TheTime Name Description Priority Status

20/08/2010 15:49:00 B4tz5ot B4 tool Zone 5 over temperature 3 R

20/08/2010 15:49:00 B4tz5ot B4 tool Zone 5 over temperature 3 F

note continual fire and reset ???????????

You don't want the paused=0 line. This will simply unpause it, and you want auto processing of alarms paused permanently since you are triggering the processing in your own sequence.

As for dups, what are the fired and reset criteria for the alarm? Do you have any hysteresis?

Hi

found the problem!

trigger point

B4TZ5PV[0]>B4tz5sp[0]+10 (pv = process variable sp = setpoint etc)

reset should have been

B4TZ5PV[0]=b4tz5sp[0]

but was

B4TZ5PV[0]=b4tz5pv[0]

hence the duplicates!!!!!! the alarm will be continually setting and resetting - this program is only a year old!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for your help

Nigel

Two things:

1) its == for comparison, not =

2) be careful about using == with analog values. With discrete its fine because its always either exactly 1 or exactly 0, but with analog, the value might be 14.002 instead of exactly 14. Maybe this isn't the case here, but be aware.

Yes thank for that in the actual program it is <= as the operator I left the < out for clarity - point taken will be aware of this in the future.

checked the alarm log this morning has solved the problem - I am wondering if this was causing some of the other problems I have had with this program like OPC connection problems and random crashes.

Time will tell !

Thanks again for your help

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...

Just as a final follow up finding and eliminating the rogue alarm reset point has eliminated a lot no other random problems like OPC connection, random disconnection and program quitting. there have been no error messages for a week so this was a real issue - but largely hidden apart from in a log file.

Archived