RS485 9 bit?

RJE

Greetings

I'm starting into my next project which would use individual modules for collecting data using custom PIC16F62x controller chips from Kronos Robotics. I have an early question that I'm not sure DF can do, before I get too far into it. I'm going into some uncharted waters for me.

I can tie these together on a RS485 half duplex network as slaves each with their own address. I have some code examples that show I must set up the internal UART to 9 bit mode. From early reading if the ninth bit is 1 the slaves know this is an address byte.

Would I be able to use DF as the master to pull data out of each module in 9 bit mode?

Thanks

RJE

No, probably not, at least not over the standard serial port. As far as I know, Windows only supports up to 8 bit values, with 1 stop bit which would give you 9 bits, but you have no control over the stop bit. You can also do 1.5 and 2 stop bits, and a parity bit, but that's more than 9 bits. That said, you might be able to get a serial to Ethernet converter that will do it, but I don't know.

Archived