SMTP host IP Address

I'm using the email object to post email messages. In general on several other networks I've been able to make it work, but in one environment I'm trying to use a direct ip

email.strhost = "216.xx.xxx.xx" with actual numbers of course. I can use a third party command line mailer like Blat to send using the same parameters, but with email.send() I keep getting an error message "can't connect to server" 10061 or 10022. The system is pretty locked down so I didn't want to make a localhosts entry for the smtp server, but is that necessary?

All network error codes displayed by DAQFactory are standard socket error codes, so a search for "socket 10061" will tell you a lot. It means that the server you are connecting to rejected the connection. Can't say why, but if the system is locked down, it may have locked out DAQFactory.

Also, as I mentioned, n generic smtp mailer works fine on the system, so I'm wondering if you know of any difference between DAQ's email code (ie DAQ doesn't support SSL, but is there anything else that might be common that it doesn't do?) Is there any way to do more debugging like a traceroute sort of thing where I could see any more detail. Right now I'm at the "doesn't work" stage, but the workstation using a public mailer does work, so it seems there must be something about the DAQ email process that is different. Any ideas?

Archived