Channel setup for reading bytes as input

Hello all,

I'm using a LabJack U12 with DAQFactory and a new syringe pump (Kloehn V3 for now till the V6 arrives) and have to redo some protocols, in which I need to use the serial output pin from the pump to send different information in bytes to the Labjack, which will in turn change the settings on a selector valve. I am having trouble figuring out how to set up the LJ to read that incoming data (even before I am positive the data is being sent correctly from the syringe pump...). I had planned to run a looping sequence which constantly checked the state of that channel receiving input from the syringe pump and changed the selector valve to one of the 6 required settings based on that information, but I can't get the channel to set up or read anything. My information on the syringe pump says that the SerialOut pin sends a number (0-255, chosen elsewhere in the script) in ASCII binary.

Can anyone guide me to the right Labjack channel setup for this application? Many thanks!

Laura King

Thanks. I did check the LabJack forums, but I didn't find anything there that was particularly useful, especially in terms of the DAQFactory interface. I can tell you that the baud rate is currently set to 9600, but I can vary that as needed. The hardware manual for the pump is not very useful, unfortunately, and there isn't a software manual for the pump control (Kloehn Control) that I can find either. Most of what I know is from the hardware manual, which tells me:

"[command] sends a serial byte from the User Serial expansion port, MSB first. The value of the ASCII number is the base 10 representation of the value of a binary byte. For transmitted bytes, positive logic applies ("1" = high logic level).

Example: [command]85 : Sends the decimal number 85 in binary format. The serial I/O device will receive the binary number 01010101 (=85 in decimal base 10 format)."

What I had thought to do was connect this port to the IO1 connector on the LabJack and monitor the input from that pin, but I am not sure what specifically the channel set to read IO1 is actually receiving. From initial tests, I'm not sure it's receiving anything, but I supposed that it was also possible that the channel wasn't even set up to read the input correctly.

Sounds like this is an RS232 device. If so, going through the LabJack is not the best choice. Just go out and buy a USB to serial converter and plug the thing directly into the PC. Then you can use the DAQFactory serial features.

Archived