Alarm Events

mse3000

Hopefully a quick question to sort out.

I think I am misinterpreting the alarm events. I am trying to set an output based on an alarm firing in order to send a signal to a gsm device. My problem is what ever I do, nothing I seem to put in the alarm fire event is actually taken account of when the alarm fires. I have taken this back to simply setting test bits to equal 1 when the alarm fires but still nothing.

I see the manual says the following; and from the first three lines it seems I should be able to do what I require but the last two lines are confusing. Is the event a condition?

Events: Alarms also have three events, sequence steps that will be executed

when a particular event occurs. There is one for when the alarm fires, when the

alarm resets, and when the alarm is acknowledged. Each has its own tab in the

alarm view. If you return(0) from the event, then the alarm fire, reset or ack will

be ignored.

Many thanks,

Mark

I'm not sure what you are seeing, so I created a quick sample (in 5.86). It simply fires the alarm every 5 seconds, and then resets it every 5 seconds. The Test channel is just there to get the alarms to evaluate. The events have simple ? statements and you'll see that it will print "Fired!" every 5 seconds and "reset" every 5 seconds as the alarm changes state.

As for the return(0), this allows you to keep the alarm from actually firing, or resetting, or being acknowledged from script. Since DF alarms allow for complex expressions, you usually can establish the appropriate criteria right in the Condition expression, but you can also use the event to override this and keep an alarm from triggering, resetting or being acknowledged. If you return(0), the event, obviously, still runs up to that point, but the alarm state does not change. You can see this in my sample by adding return(0) to the Fire event. You'll see that "Fired!" will print 5 times, once every second, then pause 5 seconds, then repeat (you may have to ack the existing alarm first).

Archived