White screen of death

sdragt

After purchasing a run-time license and downloading the software, my new Win 7 32 bit tablet informed me I did not have administrator rights so I had to shut down the installation process. IT fixed the problem in a couple of minutes, but now I cannot get DF to run correctly. Somewhere in the process, I was able to enter the license key, but subsequent attempts at erasing the directory and downloading don't give me that option. After the download and installation, I have a DF icon in my programs list, but when DF runs I just see a series of screens flashing through and end up with a plain white screen with "DAQFactory - Untitled" in the upper left hand corner. There are no menu headings showing. DF does not show up in my programs list for uninstalling, so I have been erasing its subdirectory to start over. There must be something simple I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Steve

PS: If you find a similar post from me in yesterday's stack, it was due to me losing the Post New Topic when I previewed the post.

That actually is correct. The runtime version of DAQFactory has no menu, and unless you include the file name in the short cut, it won't have any document to load and will just display a white screen. One may think this is not particularly user friendly, but you have to remember that Runtime licenses are usually used on systems where the user doesn't know anything about the .ctl document and just wants to run the application, so having a menu would just be confusing, and potentially cause problems.

Anyhow, see section 14.6 of the user's guide for a description of exactly how to create a shortcut with the .ctl path.

Ok, that part went well and makes perfect sense. Loading the document was straighforward, but some of the initial values loaded from the startup sequence are missing. Starting the test run button does change pages, but does not start the instrument. The PC with the development license switched into runtime mode and also ignored the initial parameters, but did run the instrument when its run button was pushed. My file was created in 5.85 while the runtime version is your most recent. Do I need to get everything updated first or am I missing something in scripting for runtime purposes?

thanks for your help,

steve

There's nothing special in runtime. Its the same executable as the development version, just with the menus and all hidden. So a document that runs automatically in development mode should run fine on a runtime machine. If its not running, then there is something that is different, most likely a missing driver (for example, the LabJack driver if you are using the LabJack), or possibly different comm port, or IP port for serial or Ethernet devices.

Archived