Campbell Scientific MD485 w PakBus communication

Fish

As the title suggests, I have a series of 18 oxygen probes connected to a Campbell Scientific MD485 multidrop interface via a 32 channel multiplexer. The MD485 runs a PakBus communication protocol which I guess is unique to Campbell Scientific. I am guessing that this communication protocol rules out the possibility of using DAQ Factory to obtain my oxygen readings, but would appreciate anyone who has any knowledge or suggestions in this area. Thanks in advance.

It might work. What are the oxygen sensors plugged into? The MD485 is just an comm interface device, not for sensor connections. It has a pass through option, and depending on which logger you are using, you may actually be able to use Modbus instead (for example the CR1000)

I'd contact Cambell and ask if there is a simpler protocol, preferably Modbus, but most anything would be simpler than PakBus, that you could use to poll these sensors. PakBus appears to be designed for mesh type networking and you have such a simple system that it is extreme overkill.

I'd try contacting Campbell for advice about communicating with their hardware from third party software tools. If they keep pushing you towards their stuff, you might just consider getting different hardware. From the pictures, your installations seems like severe overkill. You could probably replace it with a LabJack or two with little effort.

Archived