Can I Recover Older Versions If A Ctl File Becomes Corrupted?

cadcoke5

I should first mention that I am on Win 7 Home 64bit, and running DAQFactory Pro trial, version 5.87a build 1972

I had a message from DAQFactory that said I should do a "Save-as" because there was a problem with the program.  I did that.  But, after re-starting DAQFactory, the 1st file opened fine, so I continued with that one. I made some changes, and then saved it.  However, the program got stuck again, and I needed to force the program to close using task manager.

When I restarted DAQFactory and opened the original file, I got the message that it was unable to load document.  The "save-as" version had the same message when I tried to open it.  So, apparently both versions are now corrupted.

I know that as a novice, I am going to truly test every method for crashing the program, since I will tend to do things differently than an experienced user.

Is there any chance that DAQFactory saves older versions somehow.  I know AutoCAD had a BAK version, which is the prior saved version. Also, some programs keep a running-saved version in another directory for the purpose of data recovery.  Is there anything like that in DAQFactory?

-Joe

No, we've always found .bak files to be annoying as they clutter the drive, and believe that customers really need to take responsibility for backing up their work.  A .bak file only protects against one of many possible failure points.  Many customers simply get in the habit of doing save as all the time and date stamping the files.  I recommend also saving or copying to a second or offsite drive.  If I spend a lot of time on an application and don't want to risk waiting until my next daily automated backup, I'll often just email myself the .ctl document.  Since my email is powered by gmail, it immediately and simply puts the document on the cloud.

Try emailing or posting the .ctl files and I can see if they are truly corrupted, or possibly recoverable.

I have already re-created the work.  The corrupted file really was my first attempt at learning this stuff, so re-creating it was a good way to review the stuff I had learned. 

Perhaps I can suggest a feature for a future release. Have a directory named "Short-term backups" and then, if Auto-Save if enabled, automatically save backup files there with a .bak extension added to avoid any file-searching confusion.  Then whenever DAQFactory exits normally, delete any files older than the 10 most recent.

For now, It would be nice to be able to save backups with a single click.  I prefer the current version of a file to not have a file name with a date on it.  When I create-backups, then I do like a version number or date.  My current approach in DAQFactory is to do a regular Save, and then a Save-as, and add the date-time.  But, then I have to re-open the prior save, to start with the plain file name again.

Is there any way to make the above a one-click operation?

-Joe

Archived