Basic Question - Rounding Or Truncating A Number

cadcoke5

Again, sorry for such a basic question.  I have spent at least 45 minute trying to find this in the on-line manual.  I know the Floor(x) or Ceiling(x) will round to a whole number, but I need one decimal place to put into a displayed text value.  Note that I am actually concatenating the value to put into a static text display element. Currently, I am getting roughly one zillion decimal places.

Here is a theoretical example of something I am doing

X=20 // time in seconds

component.My_Text_Object.text = "The test will take " + (x/60) " Minutes."

But, it results in, "The test will take 0.333333333333 Minutes."

Is there a function to specify how many decimal places to get from a value? In Excel, I would use ROUNDUP(X,2) to have it display 0.33.  Is there a comparable function in DAQFactory.

-Joe

Two choices:

1) use math:  

floor(x/6) / 10

The standard math way to truncate to a particular spot is imply floor(x * 10^n) / 10^n where n is the number of decimals you want.  

2) use Format(), for example:

format("%.1f", x/60)

Format works just like the C printf() statement and you can either search the internet for the specifiers, or look in the daqfactory user's guide.

As my line of code to do the formatting starts to get unreadable, I think I need to check into the format option a bit more.  However, I have not programmed in C, so the web pages I am finding for an explanation quickly lose me.

In the manual you give the example,

Format("My Value: %.3f",MyChannel[0])

returns "My Value 34392.492"

I am assuming in this example that the current value for MyChannel[0] is 34392.492....

Then, the "My Value: %.3f" both includes some text to include, plus adds some formatting info. This seems to be the rules that this follows;

"My Value  - that is the text to prefix the value.  Then there is a : as a separtor.

%.  - I don't know.

3   - Seems to indicate that the value should have 3 decimal places.

f    - I don't know.

Does this example round the value, or just truncate it to 3 decimal places?

What is the % and f for?

-Joe

% is the indicator that you are providing a specifier to insert a value.  So, "My Value: " is all just text that gets copied.  The % says start a specifier.  The . means here's the decimal place.  The 3 means 3 numbers past the decimal.  The "f" means floating point.  It is rounded.

There are lots of other options.  For example, if you wanted to make a 4 digit hex number that always had 4 digits, even if the number was just 1, you'd do:

format("%04X", myValue)

If myValue was 1, you'd get 0001

You can do the same with float:

? format("%09.3f", 843.2348)

displays:

The 0 after the % means prepend with 0's.  The 9 gives the total, minimum number of characters to generate (thus the reason we get 2 0's in front).  The rest is as before.

It really just takes practice to use, but it's quite powerful which is why, even after, I don't know, 30 years of the printf() statement, the same specifiers are used.

Archived