Creating A Function

cadcoke5

I am having difficulty creating a function. I actually have a few questions, let me start with just showing what I have.  When I attempt to run my calling script, I get the error c1000 "Channel or function not found."  I tried running the function, in case it had to be run first before DAQFactory recognized it, but that made no difference.  I should point out that the value I want returned is a string.

The function itself;

function Seconds_to_HrMin(Arg0)

Local ExtractedHrs = 0
    Local ExtractedMin = 0

ExtractedHrs = floor(Arg0/3600)
    ExtractedMin = floor((Arg0 - floor(Arg0/3600)*3600)*100)/100 // isolate remainder seconds and convert to two decimal place

Return ("" + ExtractedHrs + "hrs and " + ExtractedMin + " Sec") 

Then, the script that calls it is;

Local string temp
temp = Seconds_to_HrMin(3605) //note that 3600 seconds = 1 hr
? temp

Thanks for the clarification on creating functions.

-Joe

Without the line number of the error, which it should have given you, I can't say for sure, but I can tell one thing: don't use "local" for private variables.  "local" is only for declaring member variables in classes.  To declare a private variable used only in the function, use "private":

private extractedHrs = 0

That is most likely the problem.

Also, FYI, there is a function called FormatDateTime() which will do what you want without all the fancy math.

Yes, I incorrectly used the word local to declare the variable, when I should have used private.

This is something I had been confused about for a while. I see now that local variables are used for a different purpose.

I did see the FormatDateTime() when I was looking for a way to do this, but it only seemed viable to extract the information for time in seconds from 1970.  Also, it kept crashing DAQFactory, so I abandoned my effort to understand it.  With your mention of it I dived back into it.  I see now that it will work perfectly for my code. The crashes were triggered when putting a lower case s, which should have been uppercase.  But, at least I learned more about functions!

-Joe

Archived