Just starting

Guest Marc

I am currently about to start to automate a process I have been performing manually and was after a bit of advise as to whether labview or Daq factory was the best place to carry out my design. I am basically hoping to read streaming voltages into the U12 via a hall probe, while ramping up the current via an analogue output from the u12 to an electronic circuit. I also wish to have a digital output to the circuit to switch the power off in case of a problem. I have the circuitry in place but as I say I am unsure of which development zone to use. I then want to produce graphs of voltage (from hall probe) against current. Is there a performance difference namely speed of operation between the two development zones?.

Any advise on which is easiest for this rather simple task ( I hope)

Thanks and Regards

Marc

LabView is a full blown programming language and DAQFactory offers a non-programmable way to interface with your data. If you are not familiar with either program, I would recommend DAQFactory as the learning curve will not be as steep and you should be able to develop what you describe in no time. At the speeds and data rates the U12 offers the limitation is really with the hardware rather than either development zone.

One thing to note with the U12 is that while streaming data you cannot execute any other commands without first stopping the stream. For example you mention streaming data while controlling an analog output. Doing this simultaneously with the U12 is not possible. If you are using command / response mode rather than stream then this would be possilbe however you lose speed that the stream mode offers. For more information on data rates see the following link.

http://www.labjack.com/lju12datarates.html

If you need the speed and the simultaneous control, I would recommend using the UE9 as this is possible with this device. For more on the UE9 see the following link. The UE9 also works just as well with both LabView and DAQFactory.

http://www.labjack.com/labjack_ue9.html

Hi,

when I purchased my labjack 12 the intension was to use it to pulse the output of a power op-amp via the analogue output of the labjack ( outputing 1A for a couple of milli seconds then 2A for a couple of milli seconds) and the electronic circuitry side is sorted. During the short time of this pulse I was hoping to take a magnetic field measurement from a hall element via an analogue input to the labjack. I expected to just have constant streaming of values into the Pc and then capture the relevant value during the current pulse, I have since found out it is not possible to carry out any other functions while streaming data. Can anyone therefore suggest a way round my problem.

Thanks

Marc

Archived