Averaging

jaresing

In the channel menu, when I check on averaging, I assume that the channel when called to a graph would put out the average value. That does not happen. The output to a graph (and to the table and graph on the channel page) comes out without averaging. So, I put up my 2-D graph and for the expression I enter mean(channel [0.9]) and that puts out nothing at all. Then for the expression I enter boxcar(channel, 10). Then I do get smoothed data to the chart, but every 10 points I get a big spike in my chart. When I look at my data I do not see these spikes.

My data is roughly 8.013,8.005,8.016,8.020,8.014,8.020,8.010,8.010,8.005,8.115

and so on. The spikes appear to go well above this range.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, from the Research vessel Kila Moana sitting atop an underwater volcano.

If average is checked, and you set # Avg to 10, it should only update the channel (and therefore all graphs, tables, and the like) every 10 actual reads, or 10 * Timing for the channel.

However, its often beneficial to let the channel read at full speed, and just smooth the graph. Boxcar is ok, but again drops the number of data points down by a factor of 10. I prefer to use the smooth function: smooth(mychannel, 10), which does a running average.

Also, mean(mychannel[0,9]) returns a single, scalar value, which as such can't be graphed.

Archived