Tough time with MakeDirectory

BeeHay

Hello again AzeoTech!

I'm having a tough time with something I would think is rather simple...

I'm trying to make the export location user settable from within the user interface...

I have an Edit Box setup to accept the users input for a desired export location...

I have a global string setup called strFolderName...

I also have a sequence setup to run when the user clicks a "set" button...

This is the sequence that runs -

File.MakeDirectory(strFolderName)

Export.MyExport.FileName = strFolderName

Now I can set strFolderName to something basic like "test", but when I try to make it a drive location "C:\wellnumber\wellname\export" it will not accept that value....

I keep getting this error -

C1125 Unable to create directory: MakeDir Line 1 - Uncaught error in sequence MakeDir

Bonk me on the head again Guru!

Any insight is helpful...

(p.s. I clicked my set button a bunch of times and got it to set once or twice, but now all I get is the error)

Thanks!!

Not completely sure, I'd need more data. I will tell you this:

1) you'll get an error if the directory already exists

2) you'll get an error if the parent doesn't exist. So, if you try and make "C:\wellnumber\wellname\export", wellname must already exist. You can see this if you try and do md at a dos prompt.

Here is a small .ctl file with what I'm trying to do...

I'm just trying to be able to change the built in export sets location and name, and leave the file with-out file extension (i.e .txt, .csv, just want no extension)...

Not sure if I can do this with the built in exports, I might have to break down and manually export my data in sequences with the file. functions...

Any point in the right direction would be great!

Thanks for the fast reply...

I just keep getting "Unable to create directory" with any location I try....(maybe a Windoze Vista issue??)

I did notice that I can set the export location in DF easily and it accepts the input fine, just trying to create the directory where the file will be is giving me a tough time...

Say I set the export location and the export fires, there will be no data because the file location doesn't exist...

So all I am really trying to do is, set the export output location, and make the directory for it to place the export file in...

I flipped the 2 lines of code -

Export.Export1.FileName = FolderName

delay(1)

File.MakeDirectory(FolderName)

- and the Export.Export1.FileName works fine, it is just not creating the directory for the file...

Attached is the .ctl file again, but with the code flipped like above...Like I said, export.export1.filename works great, just making the directory doesn't "click"...

Hope I'm making sense, if not, I have fallen off the loony wagon! :D

Thanks for putting up with me for so long AzeoTech, I woulda beat me senseless already if I was you! :)

Try just manually creating directories from the command/alert window:

File.MakeDirectory("c:\test")

for example and see what fails and what works. It may be that your Vista security doesn't like you creating directories off the root (with a full path).

Ahh, I see...You explained it in an earlier post and I guess I was confused -

2) you'll get an error if the parent doesn't exist. So, if you try and make "C:\wellnumber\wellname\export", wellname must already exist. You can see this if you try and do md at a dos prompt.

Didn't know you couldn't create a directory with folders in it all in one shot. :)

Thanks for the help!

Hrm, I tried your "md at dos prompt", and I am able to create a directory with folders in it all in one shot no problem...I thought it was possible, but this isn't the reason for my posting...

Now that I have the export "location" working, I am now encountering an issue where the export "file" is not being created...

When the export fires, all I am getting is "C1013 Problem logging to data file: c:\testing\export"...

I notice if I set the location "behind the scenes" in dev mode, DF automatically starts a new file upon firing...

I have also tried setting Export.MyExport.strFileName to something like C:\testing\export.txt, but all it does is make a folder called export.txt...

Any insight is helpful, I thought making my export location would be cake, not sure what I'm not seeing here!! :)

Thanks for everything!

Here ya go...

I just tested it by leaving the created folder empty and clicking the "Run Export" button...

I got the error...

I then went into the created folder, made a .txt file of the desired export name, I then removed the .txt extension, then clicked the "Run Export" button, the export fired with no error, and there was a new line of data in the file...

Thanks!

Archived