Serial Port Deletion Issue

tonyjflavell

Hi

I have been experimenting with serial ports. I now have a working device (CommPort5) with which I can transmit to COM Port 5. When I open the Ethernet/ Serial Device window I can see this device, using port CommPort5 and protocol ExternProt5 which I set up.

Now my problem is that during the course of getting to this point I had other devices & protocols, which I have since deleted. But DaqFactory still uses Com port 3, and I cant stop it doing this. If I lock Com 3 prior to using DaqFactory, then I get startup complaints from DaqFactory. Equally if I run DaqFactory without Com3 locked all is well until I try to use COM3 for something else - and I find it is locked.

In the Ethernet/ Serial Device window there is another Port which I previously created called Connect1. I suspect this is the problem. But I cant delete it. I have deleted other unwanted ports by clicking the check box next to them, then pressing the delete button above the list box. I have tried doing this in safe mode, but to no avail.

So my questions are

1/ Is there a way of finding out where com3 is used?

2/ What could be preventing me from deleting Port Connect1, abd how can I get rid of it?

1: you'd probably have to go through all your ports, by clicking Config from the serial/ethernet configuration window, and see if any are using Com 3. Also, if you are using a really old application created in an early version of DAQFactory, you might be accessing the com port from another driver. You can check this by clicking on the device when the first popup appears after clicking Quick - Device Configuration, then selecting "View Raw" instead of "Select". Make sure that all the other devices have the Raw blank.

2: this is a bug. The port doesn't actually exist, which is why you can't open its Configure window.

• 2 weeks later...

The only ports are Comport5 and the undeletable mystery port Connect1.

Its not ComPort5. I have double checked this by saving a copy of the DAQFactory File with a new name, opening it, and deleting Comport5 and resaving. The new file still has issues with COM port 3.

I am not using an application created in an old version. But I have checked other devices anyway. They all have raw blank.

Do you think this bug, that relates to not being able to delete Connect1 is connected? I think it was this one that used to use COM3. Is there a way of deleting it by manipulating the DAQFactory file? Can you do this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

That's because sending the .ctl file is the answer. The only way to remove a stuck serial port that can't be deleted is to send the file to us, though usually having the port there doesn't affect anything unless you create another port with the exact same name.

Archived