Copywrite Daqfactory Document Possible?

JohnyQuick

Sorry if this topic has been discussed already. Not sure if you can help.

Can a DF document be copywrited, so that if a person, by hook, or by crook, used ones document without permission,

there would be legal consequences to the (unauthorized ) user.

Since the passwords to DF documents cannot be encrypted, can I copywrite my documents to protect my interest?

Assuming you are in the U.S. (I can't address other countries laws): Technically, any application you create is copyrighted the instant you create it.  This is true for any creation really.  Most people also include a copyright notice in the application.  The trick is proving you initially created it, and for that matter that someone actually is using your document, or part of it.  For these issues you really should chat with a lawyer.  Now a few DAQFactory specific points:

1) while DF passwords can't be encrypted, you can use any character, and the passwords are pretty hidden inside the document.  So if you use a password like: "&j9#o" It is really pretty much impossible that someone will be able to simply open your document in a binary editor and find it because the document is going to be littered with similar looking strings.  

2) that said, encrypted or not, someone who really, really knows what they are doing could walk through the DAQFactory code in assembly to the point where we check the password and bypass it.  This is VERY advanced and it is unlikely anyone would waste their time trying to do this.

3) the password only protects against document editing.  It does not protect against someone running your application as is.  You will need to implement your own copy protection for this.

Here are two other recommendations:

1) on your main page, include the copyright notice with your name as an image, not text, that way it can't be easily edited with a binary editor. 

2) add a page to your document that has your full copyright info along with name and address, but don't give any access to this page from Runtime mode.  Maybe also create a sequence that you don't use that has this same info as a comment.

I have one and three covered, or so I think so.  Thank you for the suggestions. They are very helpfull. Also, since I have saved copies with dates attached to the name of the document since day one. Shouldnt be hard to show whats mine and whats not.

Daqfactory Rules!

Archived